I translate tech-talk.
I have broad documentation and learning development expertise, which includes software manuals, online help, e-learning, editing, learning management system (LMS) administration, and website design. I quickly learn technical topics and communicate them to audiences based on knowledge levels. I have an award-winning ability to maintain engagement with a remote team and clients, and deliver high-quality, user-centered content on tight deadlines.
In addition to the skills above, I also:
- Create and maintain online help systems and user guides for multiple audiences, from engineers to end users.
- Business requirements that are user-centered and easy to read.
- Use style guides and templates to maintain documentation consistency.
- Identify and write simplified procedures.
- Administer Learning Management Systems (LMS), which includes content uploads, course mapping, troubleshooting, reporting, and customer support.
- Design and develop website front ends with HTML and CSS according to W3C and 508 accessibility standards.
- Provide application screen design as part of business requirements.
- Create policy and procedure manuals.
- Create e-learning with Articulate and Captivate.
- Conduct User Acceptance Testing (UAT).
- Successfully manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Interview subject matter experts (SMEs) and facilitate task analysis sessions with business units and engineers.
- Bring expert knowledge in Confluence, MS Word, RoboHelp, SnagIt, Adobe PDF, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, Captivate, WordPress, SharePoint, and Google G Suite.
“Rob is multi-talented and very capable in many areas from technical writing, eLearning development, LMS user and admin support, to user experience design, Performance Support design and development, and more. Besides the technical capabilities, Rob is such a great person to work with!”
– Kangmei Yang, Director, Learning/Development, Sears Holdings
“I managed Rob directly when working for Kmart Training. He was and continues to be one of the most dependable and professional people I have worked with in 30 plus years. For the majority of that time he was located offsite. He was always available when needed, always developed and maintained a team relationship within the group, and continued to improve his skill sets. A company/project looking for that next self motivated, detail oriented, focused individual would be hard pressed to find another better.”
– Helen Miller, PR, SHRM-CP, Manager, Learning/Development, Kmart
“Although Rob was our telecommuter, it never felt like he wasn’t a part of our team. He was always responsive, part of every meeting and you could always depend on his work — telecommuting was never an issue.”
– Rebecca Solano-Hay, Communications Specialist, Sears Holdings
“Rob is a multi-talented, creative and meticulous writer, web developer, and technical communicator. As a self-starter who required minimal supervision, Rob was a pleasure to work with.”
– Claudia Ashcraft, HR Manager, Lowe’s Home Improvement
Recent Work History
Equifax | 2017 – Present
Edited and wrote user documentation for cloud-based data exchange, debt management, and data analytics web applications.
Worked with software engineering teams to develop user guides, demo videos, release notes, administrator guides, API endpoints, and technical runbooks.
Obtained Google G Suite certification and assisted with the company’s transition from Microsoft Office to G Suite.
Obtained Amazon Cloud Practitioner Certification to aid the company’s transformation to a cloud-based software provider.
Sears Holdings Corporation | 2000 – 2017
Wrote technical documentation, developed e-learning, and designed intranet web sites to communicate product knowledge and standard operating procedures to field and corporate associates. Migrated, supported, and administered 4 different LMSs used by over 100K associates. Telecommuted full-time.
Freelance Technical Writer and Web Designer | 2000 – 2015
Fiction Author | 2010 – Present
Wrote and published 10 novels (and counting), all available in print and ebook formats. Evaluated, interviewed, and hired vendors for copy editing and cover design. Increased sales and readership by developing and implementing targeted marketing strategies, including newsletters, book review submissions, ad campaigns, and promotional materials.